I love green juice. It is the foundation of my day; the answer to my every worry (well mostly); my therapy in a glass; my secret to healthy eating and it will be your miracle energy pill and diet drink. If there is one thing you could do to make 2014 your best year yet, start drinking the greens.
Green smoothies are green and leafy vegetables and fruit, blended with water. So simple, but so powerful! They will:
- Boost your energy.
- Make your skin glow.
- Tame your cravings for sweet or salty foods.
Here’s Why I Love Them and Why You Will Too.
Green smoothies are:
Fibre Filled – Fruit and green leafy vegetables are packed with healthy fibre. Fibre helps digestion and eases elimination issues. Fibre also makes you feel full, which keeps you from making unhealthy food choices out of desperation.
Nutrient Dense – So many of us are carrying extra weight and eating a bit too much, but our body is still starving – not starving for more calories, but starving for nutrients. Green smoothies are nutrient rich. They’re packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids (what protein is made of), and antioxidants (which help fight disease). The nutritional power of green smoothies does more than feed your body – it heals your body.
Alkaline – Helping your body have an alkaline Ph level fights inflammatory-based diseases such as cancer, diabetes, arthritis and autoimmune diseases. Because green smoothies are made of fresh fruits and vegetables they are an ideal anti-inflammatory food.
9 Ways to Fit Green Smoothies Into Busy Lives
Here’s how to prep these nutritional powerhouses in the midst of busy lives? Getting into the green smoothie habit is so much easier with these time-saving strategies.
- Have the Basics on Hand. Ensure that the basic ingredients of green smoothies are staples on your grocery list so your refrigerator is always loaded with greens.
- Keep Bananas in the Freezer. Peel overripe bananas and keep them in a plastic bag. These add sweetness and creaminess to any green smoothie.
- Create Smoothie Packs. To prepare for several days, assemble 5 ziplocks filled with all the ingredients needed, except liquid. All that’s left to do is add liquid, blend and enjoy. 10 extra minutes of advanced prep time = 5 days worth of effortless smoothies.
- Prepare the Night Before. Load the blender with desired ingredients the night before. Store in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, add liquid and blend.
- Invest in Good Tools. Get a large chopping board, a sharp knife, salad spinner, and a good blender. I love my Vitamix – and use it 4 times a day sometimes.
- There’s no “right” way to make a green smoothie – only what’s right for you. You want to be making green smoothies you love to drink. Yes, it may take a bit of getting used to drinking a glass of greens, but you’ll love the way it makes you feel. When I tell clients that they will be addicted to it, they look at me like I am an absolute lunatic. I just might be, but let me tell you every single one of my clients, every one, is addicted to the juice. Not such a bad vice to have.
- The point of a green smoothie is to incorporate a boatload more greens (super nutrient dense food) and more fibre into your diet.
- There are a lot of smoothies out there called green smoothies. However, many of them are fruit smoothies with a small handful of baby spinach thrown in. I encourage you to make your green smoothies very green, like the recipes below. It may take a bit of experimenting to make your ‘just-right’ green smoothie. Have patience and experiment.
- Green smoothies come out super smooth in a high-speed blender (like a Vitamix – my favorite kind). Still, you can make your green smoothie in a regular blender. You just may need to cut up your veggies smaller and blend them for longer.
Use organic produce whenever possible
Alyssa Favorite GoGo Juice
- 1 cup of organic green kale (use spinach too)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 green apple
- 1/4 peeled cucumber
- 1 banana (more for sweetness) – I like frozen bananas
- 1-2 cups of coconut water ice
For an added zing, add some fresh herbs: cilantro, mint, basil. Yum! Blend it all up in a Vita-Mix or powerful blender.
Tri-Fruit Green Smoothie
- 11/2 cups coconut water
- 2 big handfuls kale
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 1 banana
- 1⁄2 lemon peeled
For an added zing, add some fresh herbs: cilantro, mint, basil. Yum!
More articles by this author